Penile Curvature. Peyronies’s Disease
WHAT IS PEYRONIE`S DISEASE?
The disease was named after its discoverer, De La Peyronie. It consists of a fibro-sclerosis of the penis with or without a curvature. It is also known as plastic indurations of the penis.
What are the causes of the disease?
The aetio-pathogenic mechanism that causes the disease remains largely unknown even though the disease was identified a long time ago. Many factors may be involves: genetic predisposition, infections, vascular disease, secondary effects of certain drugs,diabetes, hypertension amongst others. Doctors agree that it is an inflammatory disease but they ignore the mechanism that originates it. It is usually multi-factorial.
What are the symptoms?
It usually appears between the ages of 20-80, the mean age is 50. The most common symptoms are:
– Painful erections
– Progressive curving of the erect penis
– Fibrotic nodules or plaques in the penis
– Penile shortening
What does the diagnosis methodology consist of?
In our centre, the diagnosis includes the following:
– Detailed clinical history
– Palpation of the corpora cavernosa
– Auto photography of the penis (Kelami technique)
– High resolution penile ultrasound scan
– Axial rigidity test
What are the available treatments?
There are three different treatment approaches: drug-based, physical or surgical.
The drug-based treatment consists of testosterone, estrogens, vitamin E, corticoids, procarbazine, collagens, etc.
The physical treatment is based in the following techniques: radiotherapy, ultrasounds, laser, etc.
Lastly, surgical treatment may involve any of the following:
– Penile straightening without extirpation (removal) of fibroid plaque.
– Removal of fibroid tissue + straightening.
– Removal of fibroid tissue + penile prosthesis implantation.
Each of these solutions is applied using different surgical techniques.